Monday, August 17, 2015

Trying Terraria

This is post 12 of 31 for the Blaugust event. To check out more Blaugust posts and sign up to participate, visit the Blaugust Nook!


Last night, Chaide and I wanted to game some together, but we wanted something with little pressure, and something where we could only spend a half hour or so without getting dragged into other things. Essentially, we wanted a quick bout of play where we could cut it off without any strings attached.

We settled on Terraria. For those that don't know, open-world building games are not a forte, nor a favorite, of mine. I'm not fond of the digging and general exploration, and I just don't enjoy building. I'm never happy with what I build, so I get emo and then just turn it off.

I'm also just not the best at the combat and such in games like this, as it's a different key-set that I just can't seem to get used to. And when I play in a larger group of folks in games like this, I feel almost overwhelmed. I don't feel that I'm a good enough player, or that I contribute enough, or that I'm holding folks back, etc. (Ironically, I rarely get this mindset in typical MMOs...)

Anyway. We booted it up. I've had it for a few months. Chaide got a four pack and gave one to me. I played it for about forty-five minutes with Chaide and two other guildies and just didn't enjoy it (see above).

But last night with Chaide, I had a lot of fun. Yeah, so I asked some stupid questions, and needed to have my hand held (not literally) while I played to get an idea of what to do--but I had fun. One thing I like about the game is that there are achievements through Steam, which make it more fun for me. I enjoyed digging up some ore because I got cute-named achievements.

I also like that there's pets, mounts, and costumes in the game. So I could see myself picking this up every so often when Chaide and I just need some us-gaming-time without any strings attached.

I can tell you that it felt really good to be able to get some game time in with him for a change, as his schedule and available gaming time has changed a lot since school started. I'm hoping we can pick it up some more in the coming weeks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...