I was able to obtain a CBT2 key for Black Desert Online, and hop into the game the other weekend. Sadly, it wasn't as much as I liked. I spent about three hours total in the game, with the majority of the time spent on character creation. But here are some initial impressions, both good and bad.
- The character creator is God-like. I loved being able to create a short, stout, tatted warrior lady with epic red hair.
- The opening cinematic was... loud? Confusing. It was definitely confusing. The story didn't really grab me off the get-go. But at least it wasn't overly long like Blade & Soul was.
- The auto-path mechanic is neat. Makes things easier.
- The voice acting is better than Blade & Soul, though not that much better.
- The black spirit dude is creepy. And I don't really understand the story.
- The graphics are pretty awesome.
- But there's some weird collision going on? Like, some of the ways the hair and body collide are just... weird.
- Also lawl at characters walking into each other and through each other while you're talking to an NPC.
- I wish I'd had more time to play while the CBT is active. I'm looking forward to carving some time out one week at the end of March to put a 7-day trial code to use to actually get a good feel for the game.
- Some of the features of the game are things I think I'd like, but I don't like that so few of my friends are interested in it. It kinda feels like a "gaming lull" for a lot of folks, in a way.
Anyway, here are a bunch of the screenies I took of my Valkyrie, and the start of what I played.