Monday, April 2, 2018

Transmog and Trial of Style

Transmog and Me

This one was both "Epic Purple" and "Everyday Hero". It's Chest's consistent transmog.
I've never really gotten into transmogrification in WoW. The biggest reason is that it got introduced into the game back in November 2011—about a month before I quit playing WoW for a long period, and moved over to EVE.

Then from EVE (which does have some pretty awesome character customization, despite the lack of ever really seeing your character), I hopped over into WildStar. Even in WildStar, I didn't get too fancy with my costumes, outside of my Zatanna attempt.

WildStar has a pretty freaking stellar costuming system that a lot of games should take notes on. I hold WildStar up as the epitome of costume customization. Easy to save your current character look via copying a code string so you can come back to it. And then you can pretty much have unlimited costumes, if you're willing to buy the slots for them. Another cool feature in WildStar—if your plate wearing toon obtains some plate, you can costume it onto a non-plate wearing toon. Sold!

So when I came back to WoW, and I was interested about getting into transmog, it felt clunky and annoying compared to what I was used to. So I just kinda... didn't.

Strike a Pose (Vogue)

Shaelee's "Summer" themed outfit
That's changed a little bit since I tried out the Trial of Style on its most recent round through town. I'm still not one hundred percent sold on transmog, but I'm a bit more willing to try to play around with it if inspiration strikes me.

Participating in the event was fun, but kind of stressful, in a way. I have a clothie (Macadamia), two mail toons (Shaelee and Hazelnutt), and a plate toon (Chestnaught) that were easy to cycle through. The leather is where I had a difficult time.

Both of my high-level leather toons are toons that I no longer play, nor plan to play, except for maybe grabbing the initial 500 Timewalking badges on occasion. They sit there, at the bottom of my character list, and I do nothing with them. So choosing one to participate in the Trial of Style was difficult.

My outfit which kind of feels like a tribute to Aquaman!
I ended up choosing Chestnut, and using the same costume for all the competitions just to get them out of the way and get the gear, but I'm very proud of her costumes. I do need to roll up a new Druid and Monk, though, so I have leather toons. Maybe I'll make them Highmountain Tauren.

I had more fun than I thought I would at the Trial of Style. I'm still not sold on transmog overall, but I'm willing to give it a bit more of thought and start really collecting items for it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...