Monday, September 6, 2010

Dragon*Con 2010 - Highlights

I went to my second Dragon*Con ever this year. My first (of many to come) with the Elephant. After waiting in line for almost three hours on Saturday (and missing one of the panels I really wanted to see), we ended up with pre-regs for next year and three day passes (which were mistakes, but who's complaining?!). Here's some highlights of this year!

  • Being able to spend an amazing Saturday and Monday being geeky with the Elephant. That's the biggest highlight. :)
  • Some of the cosplays: Gumby; Jay, Silent Bob and Buddy Jesus (with a farewell l'chaim); Jesus Christ Superstar; Lego Slave Leia (yes--really), Charlie Chaplin; Aang; a Cylon; and Hunter S. Thompson (my personal favorite, tied with Lego Slave Leia--mannerisms and everything).
  • Sean Astin's panel. While there were some questions regarding his work in LoTR, we had a blast chatting with his family (whom he called during the panel, because his wife texted him), listening to stories about his daughters, and just the general atmosphere. Great fun.
  • Being able to treat the Elephant to all things C'thulu and Lovecraft. Got him a C'thulu fanny pack which he absolutely loves. :)
  • Being able to find DS9 merchandise! The fangirl in me came out in full force! A DS9 pin with the title, a DS9-era com badge pin, and a "Never confuse wisdom with luck" pin with Quark on it. Oh, and my favorite? One of those school-type window decals saying, "Ferengi School of Business", which the Elephant and I will be putting in my window tomorrow. (Yes, I love my Ferengi.)
  • Getting to shake hands and get autographs from some of my favorite fandom actors: Jeff Lewis, Sandeep Parikh, John deLancie, LeVar Burton, RenĂ© Auberjonois, Armin Shimmerman, and Avery Brooks. I had to control myself from fangirling around the last three. I even got all three of them to sign the same picture: the Jadzia Dax DS9 crew. I'm hoping to get that completely filled out. ;)
Great story from the Elephant about our encounter with deLancie:
I watched some douche cut in front of Essence while she was talking with John Delancie from Star Trek...turns out I didn't mind so much - it was Fraking Jonathan Frakes - Riker - Number 1...a hand shake and a smile and he was on his way. I didn't mind so much...>:3
Also, when we were waiting in line for Avery Brooks to get settled and start autographs, he tossed a banana at the Elephant because he made a silly comment. Then a pen because he made another silly comment, and then shook our hands and signed the photo, etc. How many people can say they've had Avery Brooks toss something in their direction? :P

All in all, it was a great two days at the convention. Sadly, back to the real world...

Though, Thursday, the Elephant and I are going to go buy frames for our new wall decorations... :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...