Friday, April 10, 2015

Fit Geek Friday - Stop Being Negative


I've recently joined a blogging link-up called Fit Geek Friday, hosted by B.J., and Void, this blogger initiative is all about geeks interested in fitness of sorts, get together and share links, and talk about awesome things for the week.
#FitGeekFriday is a way for all of us to meet new friends, find new health, fitness, and geekery blogs, and immerse ourselves in a growing community of people who care about all the same stuff we do.
Participation is simple!
Use the “Add A Link” button below to leave a link to something awesome you wrote at your website, click into someone else’s links, comment, and make new friends! #FitGeekFriday is about bringing together the community of geekery-loving fitness junkies, so get out there and be social!
Join in the link love in the widget at the bottom of the post. And you can find more information here, if you'd like to participate.

This week, the topic is Stop Being Negative.


So, there's been a lot of talk recently, especially leading up to Developer Appreciation Week (last week) about negativity in the online community. And I don't want to beat a dead horse. So I won't.

Honestly, this topic was hard for me to come up with something. I find myself to be a generally happy-go-lucky and positive person... except when it comes to my self-talk.

Yep. I bash on myself and am the most negative self-talker I know. I even self depreciate in front of other folks, calling myself stupid, or other not-so-great names, telling jokes that bash myself, etc.

I can't tell you how much negative self-talk has killed my mood, and made me feel like shit about myself. And we all do it, to some degree or another. So why do we do that? To make ourselves feel on an "even" playing field with others? 

It's taken me some continued therapy to improve my attitude towards myself. And it's a daily struggle, but it's something I work on constantly. 

What I've found works best for me is self-care--taking the time out of my day to do things for myself. And not necessarily things that will perpetuate the negative self-talk later (like binging on food)--that just perpetuates the hampster wheel. But things like playing a game I like alone. Or soaking in the tub with a book. Or maybe a small bit of "retail therapy". Writing down things that made me happy for the day. Things that make me feel good about myself. And it has helped me a bunch. While I'm not done negative self-talking, I'm definitely making progress that I'm proud of.

Because I am a positive person whose friends would never talk that way to her--so why do I do it to myself?



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...