Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A Hogwarts Party

This is post 9 of 31 for the Blaugust event. To check out more Blaugust posts and sign up to participate, visit the Blaugust Nook!

The past few days have been spent planning my birthday party for Saturday. While my birthday was the end of July, we're celebrating my party late because, well, we were moving my birthday weekend.

I grew up with the Harry Potter books, and as much as I dislike Harry as a character (ugh, stop being so emo!), I really love the other main/supporting characters, and the Wizarding World as a whole.


So I decided that I wanted to celebrate a Hogwarts birthday this weekend.

What does that entail? A lot of prep. I've decided to share with you guys all the stuff I'm doing so that maybe one day someone can make use of it! (Bonus? ANOTHER BLOG POST TO CATCH UP WITH BLAUGUST! ... *ahem*)

I'll be sure to take pictures of everything once made, decorated, etc. For now, this is just the list of everything I want to do/make. Y'know, the planning part. Because that's the hardest part.

Goody Bags


No party is complete without goody bags, am I right? Including myself and Chaide, there are twelve people invited to my party. So we needed twelve goody bags. Because it's just fun, even if they're simple.

Chaide found some Candy Cauldrons (No, they're not made out of candy. They're plastic), so we're going to put the following (loose) inside of them:
Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean
Lemon Drops
Chocolate Frogs (made from chocolate melts)

Activities

For activities, we're mainly going to watch some of the movies that are my favorites. We don't own all of them, so we'll end up renting some of them via Amazon, I'm sure. That's something we actually need to check on prior to this weekend.


We're also going to create wands, and potions (from corn syrup and fine glitter)! I know, you'd think this was a party for kids, wouldn't you? Nah. We're just a bunch of folks that like to get crafty along with our nerdy endeavors.

Food and Drink

And of course, I'd be remiss to list out the entirety of our menu. So, here we go!

  • Hogwarts House Salad - All the colors: red (cherry tomatoes), yellow (yellow peppers), green (cucumbers and scallions), blue (blue cheese on the side for those that don't like it) with various sundry dressings.
  • Hogwarts Fruit Salad - I wanted fruit, so we're making a fruit salad with bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and green grapes with walnuts on the side.
  • Turkey Shepherd's Pie - I'm not big on heavy meats (lamb and beef), and some of our friends lean toward pescatarian, but will eat poultry in a pinch, so it's a good compromise.
  • Brussels Sprouts - Just your typical roasted sprouts with some balsamic vinegar. They're so tasty that way! One of my favorite recipes, and oh so simple!
  • Professor Sprout's Herbology Plate - Again, I want some extra veggies, so we're going to use broccoli, tomato, and carrots.
  • Professor Snape's Stuffed Toadstools - Who can resist stuffed mushrooms? And I'm making them vegetarian, because why not?
  • Golden Snitches - Cake pops! They're going to be adorable! I can't wait to make them! Even if they look ugly, I'm still looking forward to it!
  • Butterbeer - Non-alcoholic for friends who don't want the two alcoholic drinks we're making. See recipe number 2 for the one we're using!
  • Pureblood & Mudblood - The two cocktails we're going to serve. Our liqueur cabinet is still accruing new additions, so we had to limit what we're making.

Phew. Think we'll be exhausted, much? Haha. But hopefully we'll have some tasty leftovers! This post was actually a lot of fun to put together. I should write one up for the Lovecraftian birthday I put together for Chaide's birthday last year! Or was it the year before... Ia! Ia!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...