Monday, August 31, 2015

DragonCon 2015 Hype

This is post 28 of 31 for the Blaugust event. To check out more Blaugust posts and sign up to participate, visit the Blaugust Nook!


Every Labor Day Weekend in Atlanta, there's this thing called DragonCon. It's a multi-genre convention that covers various geek-related tracks. It's fun, but it's no PAX (they really could use some more gaming stuff! ;) ).

Regardless, I'm really excited for it this year. Chaide and I are able to attend for a change (finances have kept us from doing so in the past), and we live close enough to take the train into the city for a change. The train is also supposedly free this year, which will help save costs if it is true (not that taking the train is much more expensive than driving, but any cost cutting is great!).

We will have to drive one day, though, because we want to see Rasputina the night they're playing, and by the time we get out, the trains will have stopped. But parking for one day versus three/four sounds much better! One of our guildies is also coming into town and staying for about a week, so it'll be fun hanging out with him!

What I'm most excited for, however, is to see Terry Farrell (and Rene Auberjonois, again)! The fandom nearest and dearest to my heart is Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. While folks just a few years older than me grew up with Wesley Crusher, I grew up with Jake Sisko (granted, I still watched TNG, but I was a few years behind). Even though I know what happens in various episodes, the feels still get to me. And sometimes I see something I missed before.

I'm hoping to be able to attend the panel with Farrell and Auberjonois. It's the one thing I'll regret missing during the whole con. It's of a high priority to me.

Something else I'm trying to do (last minute, of course) is put together a costume for Saturday. The group of geek girls I hang out with comes up with a costume theme every year and takes group photos. I wasn't going to participate this year, but it's a fairly easy theme to try to pull off last minute--1950s Fandom.



We're taking 1950s fashion and mashing it up with our favorite fandoms! So, I plan on making a blue poodle skirt with the DS9 communicator on it, and painting Trill spots on my neck. I'm hoping to do a Victory Curls hairstyle, cat eye makeup, and I'll need to buy a shirt to wear with the skirt, but it should be an easy find--even a regular t-shirt tucked into the skirt will work and I can bring my black cardigan that I use for work (because I always get cold).

I'm actually really pumped to try to pull it off! I just need to figure out when I'm going to hit up the craft store, though. I'll have to check the hours and the closest fabric store and prep tonight by taking my measurements to make a quick non-pattern skirt. Maybe I'll even get over my dislike of photos and post one or two on the blog if I manage to pull it off!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...